Friday, February 15, 2008

Thing 17.1 ELM Productivity Tools

Anoka County does not offer InfoTrac Student Edition on its list of databases. I went (online) to Hennepin County and located it there. My card is registered there so I attempted to access it but had difficulty. I returned to an earlier page and IM-ed with an online librarian for help. That was a first and was very successful! I then search the database for "youth smoking" and saved several articles. There is an option for email but I could not find a RSS feed for tracking. I clicked on Collections on the bottom left of the Student Edition page and went to the Gale/Cengage list page and chose Student Resource Center Gold. There was information there about Managing the Information You Find -- using a tool they call InfoMark and another managing tool called "breadcrumb trail" but it also did not include setting up an RSS feed. Next I navigated into the EBSCO database and created a personal folder/account. I saw an RSS feed option there and attempted it but consistently got this message from Bloglines when I pasted the URL in. No feeds were found. Please verify that the website publishes an RSS feed. I am going to reheat my coffee and back-up a little bit.

No comments: