Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thing 14 LibraryThing

I signed up for LibraryThing /LibraryThing/Quick Start almost a year ago, February 24, 2007. Jim Hendricks, our head reference librarian at Northtown Library, suggested staff check it out. I've listed many of the ourstanding books I've read/reread since then. For me, it is a wonderful tool to aid my memory. I use it for my own Reader's Advisory and find it invaluable. I use for patron Reader's Advisory when I feel I have a stronger feel for my own tags (folksonomy) than our catalog tags or subject headings. Beyond the listing of books the site is deep and rich and invites exploration. There is also a Early Reviewer's sign-up and I have snagged an Early Review copy. My name in Library Thing is nanhoekstra, just as it is here in 23 Things. I am in the Librarians Who Library Thing group forum as well. Today I finished reading Sonja Harnett's Thursday's Child and added it to my books. LibraryThing has unique and powerful ideas for uses by public libraries. This site is familiar to me now and I am always finding something new. The innovations are worthwhile and widely applicable. See Common Knowledge for wikitype application. I find new books to read and often connect with fellow LibraryThingers. I believe that the personal tags and LibraryThing's list are among the finest sources available for readers. See sidebar for one of several available widgets.

No comments: