Monday, February 4, 2008

Review and Reflect

Copper Uppercase Letter R ampersand Letter R
Ten Things done. Relecting on those three words is a tension. Here's what I mean. They are most definately NOT done. I've worked through the assignments, yes. I've kicked at the templates and searched for the buttons. I've started projects. Here's the THING - it's that wabi-sabi thing.

"Wabi-sabi is a Japanese expression that roughly translates to the "beauty of
things imperfect, impermanent, and incomplete". It is the beauty of
things modest and humble. It is the beauty of things unconventional.
Observe a ceramic cup for a tea ceremony, for example. It might have rough
edges, an irregular shape, and glazing that covers only half of the cup."
Woods and Thoeny in Wikis for Dummies

As I review especially Things 5-10 as am thinking about my efforts and responses as imperfect and imcomplete. And I am thankful for the continuing truth of impermanence. The "public-ness" of this learning is daunting. Here are my blog posts, my "creations", by attempts to execute applications -- out here for all to see. There is support and guidance from the community in the building. Comments and questions fly. I want to raise my hand sometimes and ask the teacher, or feel a stronger sense of mastery of each thing. When I go back to an application I do have a familiar "I've been here before" sense. I take that as progress. The monkey mind buzzes and whirls but I am seeing obvious possibilities and potential for use in the library of everything we've studied so far. On to Thing 11.

No comments: