Sunday, January 27, 2008

Thing 7. Web 2.0 Communication Tools

From Library 2.0 immersion into a unit on Web 2.0... The goal of "reaching users where they are in their preferred means of communication". No argument there. It's all about communication. The telephone isn't, after all, the easiest way to communicate many days in the Children's room. One (or more) loud criers or, just as frequent these days, patrons on their own phones, make listening and answering a telephoned library question difficult. It makes sense to have other avenues available. Instant or text messaging would be useful alternatives. The email productivity article made good points about the distraction and abuse of email as a communication tool, especially within the library organization. The point, I gather, is to take care when we write and take care when we respond and don't gum up the works with non-library stuff or waste our colleagues time with email duplication and unnecessary chatter/memos/news. I have instant messaging personally in both AOL and MSN but use it very seldom. Email seems more convenient and more considerate. The 15-year-old thrives on IMing with AOL - definitely a "preferred means of communication"!
I had never listened to a Web Conference before. I went to OPAL (Online Programming for All Libraries) and searched the archive. I chose "Virtual Worlds for Kids, Tweens and Teens" with Tom Peters. I especially enjoyed the information about "Whyville". There are dozens of articles, blogs and websites discussing virtual worlds for kids. For the Challenges, I joined the 23 Things on a Stick Google Group -- I am member # 2. Hmmm...I emailed the "owner" to introduce myself... I also joined Twitter and found an old friend teaching at Stanford. If any other 23ers are reading this blog, I hope you join me soon at some of these virtual places.

No comments: