Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thing 2.2 Library 2.0

Blogging is not a rough draft for a paper. This is what I am learning, I think. See the avatar, think many questions, few answers. The excitement, the momentum, the urge to act and exchange ideas is prompted--driven maybe--by the prospect of having a part in the process, participating in planning. This is NOT a daily given. Working at the library brings so much joy and fulfillment but there can be frustrations, irritations-- these are not formidable but they stir emotions of apathy and clockwatching. Sometimes. The staff is a varied bunch but all are important to the future of the library and, most specifically, to the patron's experience and sense of ownership of the library.
I have a specific idea simmering in my head. Having this idea fuels my enthusiam for the Library 2.0/23 Things on a Stick project. Yes, I am a student at heart. I relish self-guided inquiry and discovery. The construct of this project, the "syllabus", lays out my plan of study but having a specific idea as well as a daily workspot and career informs my reading and comment.

Here's an article I would love to discuss. The author, Walt Crawford, of Research Libraries Group (RLG - RLG has merged with OCLC) wrote this article for Cites & Insights. It is 32 pages of thoughtful and respectful ruminating. He contrasts Library 2.0 and "Library 2.0".

I may have one more post in me yet before I leave Thing 2...

No comments: