Sunday, January 27, 2008

Review and Reflect

R ampersand The Letter R
5 Things Done. Time for R&R. Review and Reflect.
The buzz at the workplace indicates that others are experiencing the same fun and frustrations. I see possibilities everywhere for use of technology all over the place in the public library. I found this morning getting back to my own blog that I was sidetracked by my own feed connections. This is a good thing! Imagine the library patron looking forward to the Home Page as a source/resource/inspiration -- destination! What new video or podcast author interview might be there? What poll or invitation to tag or photo submission sought? What upcoming event in the summer reading program or online storytime registration? This is nifty to thing about from the patron's point of view. For us working through the "23 Things" there is opportunity upon opportunity to become involved in the projects of today and ready with ideas and concepts for tomorrow's projects. One of the first articles I read along this road was by Meredith Farkas. In her blog Information Wants to Be Free she asked the question: if there were no impossibilities/problems/budgets/naysayers (I paraphrase a bit and embellish) what could/should/would the library be? I love this question. I think about it in terms of Youth Services (children/juvenile/YA). WOW. I have a blank paper before me and I begin to draw the room(s).... This is what Library 2.0 has done for me.
On the specific THINGS: I have learned that blogging is very similar to journaling with pen and paper. This "personal/professional" kind of blog is the most common according to Brad Hill in Blogging for Dummies. I have had mixed success with journaling in my life but each time I did it there was a specific reason, a desire/need to meet myself and talk it through. So there is definately an imprint of Nan Hoekstra here. Hill's chapter 13 "Hooking into RSS Feeds" really cleared up by questions and difficulties with Thing 3. I'm a "try-it-first-and-then-read-the-instructions" learner basically so I was in deep there for a while. This morning I went on back to Bloglines and it was way clearer. Thanks, Brad. Flickr time was sweet. Now it's on to Thing 6.

No comments: