Friday, January 25, 2008

Thing 3. Set Up and RSS Account & Add Feeds

Just reading through this assignment rattled me. Especially the second paragraph "if you could visit all those blogs and all at the same time... The ALL word refering to something about the internet...hmm...really don't want to even want that. Even the good stuff. Ya know?
I chose Bloglines and went for it. Several hours, many mistakes and ugly postings later, I have a Blogroll element available on Thing Monkey. I chose a feed from Reader's Club, General Fiction, YA. I'll just experiment here for a few days to see if this changes or remains constant. I had a nifty logo icon at one point but I can't find that again. I do realize that this works better for a list of blogs than just a favorites type list, so I will put Bloglines in my Favorites. Doing that will force me to go back when I find additional blogs for this topic and add them. This morning, however, I am not headed back into Bloglines if I can help it. I've done some additional reading and stewing, the Wikipedia entries for RSS and Aggregator are helpful but I am swimming in deeper water in Thing 3 than I like to do alone. I'm going to call this one done for now and revisit later. I'm thinking there would be plenty of ways to use this Thing on a library home page. At this point, I'd be happy to look for great feeds to offer patrons but somebody with a grasp of the how would have to set it up....

No comments: